January 20, 2008

It was the first full day in Paris. We had actually arrived early on the 19th, landing around 8:30am local time. But after overnight flights on both of our sides we were just tired and didn't do a whole heck of a lot that day. This was the day we got our first real views of Paris.

There was a really large ferris wheel. And that's where my troubles with heights began for the trip.

I get vertigo so basically anything I'm on anything of height I feel like I'm going to fall. SO. MUCH. FUN.

To give you an idea of how high this thing was, look! We're above the obelisk!

After we got down, and I could walk again, we headed down the Champs- Élysées. It was pretty quiet that morning.

We explored the Arc de Triomphe, eventually going up what would be the first of many sets of windy stairs I would meet on this trip. Going up wasn't so bad, going down is where most of the problem is.

And when went back down this lovely set of stairs a woman behind us was wearing very clacky boots and I felt like I was being chased, which added to the whole awesomeness of feeling like I was going to fall with every step.

When I look at this picture I can only notice how tired I looked. I had taken the day I flew out of Canada off from work, but in the two days leading up to it I had worked 36 straight hours. I didn't pack until the day I left. That's so not how one should plan for a two week vacation. Have I mentioned that I don't miss that job? lol In fact, two weeks to the day after I returned to it I quit. Without another job lines up. Best thing I ever did.

After we left, and got lost for a bit, we found our way to the Eiffel Tower. Me and the Eiffel Tower did not get along. So there are no pictures of me on it. I was there. I kind of reached my limit with heights that day. And Lee got to experience the first time the vertigo got too much for me and ended up with me in tears. But it does make for good photos (even if I'll never got up it again).

After that we made our way to the Musee D'Orsay, where we finally got something to eat for the first time since breakfast.

It was only a tart in their cafe but it was a tasty, tasty tart. Unfortunately we got there rather late in the day so only got to see a small portion of the musuem.

On the way back to the hotel we wandered back by the Ferris wheel. It looked much nicer at night. There was also a much longer line at night. We weren't about to try it out again. I had enough of heights for one day.

We also found some pretty lights on the way back to the hotel. Purrrttyyy.

Then it was off to dinner at Chartier. Whole lot of history in that place.

Then back to the hotel to pass out because we felt like we walked over half of Paris that day.