I really wasn't expecting this to be announced this early. They don't run Canada Reads until February (Feb 26 - March 2) Hmmm I didn't think they did it until April. Guess I was wrong.
The books and their defenders:
- Natasha and Other Stories by David Bezmozgis and defended by Steven Page of the Barenaked Ladies.
- Children of My Heart - by Gabrielle Roy and translated by Alan Brown. A GG award winner. Defended by broadcaster Denise Bombardier.
- Stanley Park - by Timothy Taylor. Defended by Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo.
- The Song of Kahunsha - by Anosh Irani. Defended by novelist Donna Morrissey.
- Lullabies for Little Criminals - by Heather O'Neill. Defended by John K. Samson of The Weakerthans
All of the defenders have successfully defended their choices in the past 5 years. Could be interesting...
I don't know how many of these I'll read. I know that I do want to read Lullabies... I don't think I'll be pledging to read them all - partly because the thought of reading a short story collection at the moment makes me want to stick a fork in my eye. (Why the ire for short stories right now? No idea.)